Top tax tips for teachers 2021


Credit Union SA

Member Experience Team

29 June 2021

| Budget Planning

It's that time of year again! The financial year is nearly over, and it’s time to collect your receipts and lodge your tax return.

If you lodge your own tax return, you must do so by 31 October 2021.

If you use the services of tax agent or accountant, you have until 15 May 2022 to lodge, so long as you’re up to date with prior year lodgements.

To help you understand what tax deductions you may be able to claim on your personal tax return, we’re sharing some of JSA Accounting’s top tax tips for educators. JSA Accounting and Edcom Taxation Services is a local Adelaide firm with offices at Reynella and Hindmarsh.

Top Tips

Car expenses

If you claim car expenses using the cents per kilometre method, you don’t always need written evidence such as receipts or a logbook. Usually you can just multiply the business kilometres you travelled by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) rates and you should be good to go.

Also, the ATO has increased their cents per km rate this year – so you’ll get more bang for your buck!

Table implementation available soon

You can claim relevant public transport fees, taxi costs and airfares but make sure you keep your receipts.

Home to work travel is only claimable in limited circumstances such as if you’re carrying bulky or heavy items to school (i.e. musical instruments, woodwork tools).
  • Home to work travel is only claimable in limited circumstances such as if you’re carrying bulky or heavy items to school (i.e. musical instruments, woodwork tools).

Home Office Expenses

Most teachers work from home to finish marking, plan lessons and write reports. This means you’re able to claim the cost of electricity, gas and furniture. You can do this either by claiming a percentage of actual costs or by using a fixed rate of 52 cents per hour, or 80 cents per hour under the COVID-19 short-cut method.

You just need to prove the hours worked at home by keeping a diary representative of a four-week period.

Claiming a deduction

Table implementation available soon

Top deductions teachers should be claiming

  1. Teacher registration - claimable every three years
  2. Union fees
  3. Travel and car costs
  4. Home office expenses
  5. Stationary
  6. Classroom supplies and teaching aids including art materials, stickers, prizes etc.
  7. Items used in cooking or sewing classes or science experiments
  8. Textbooks (used as a resource)
  9. Self-education costs
  10. Conference, seminar or workshop fees
  11. Memberships and subscriptions specific to what you teach
  12. Income Protection Insurance
  13. Calculator, whistle, and stopwatch
  14. Entrance fees to school excursions

Work clothing

You can usually claim the cost of work clothing (including shirts, pants, skirts, jackets, jumpers – provided each item has the school’s logo on it) and the cost of washing or dry cleaning your work clothing.

Work tools and equipment

You can usually claim the cost of buying and repairing equipment you use at work, including tools, musical instruments, electronic organisers, laptop computers and mobile phones. Just make sure you keep all your receipts.

Overseas travel – conferences, study tours and sabbaticals

Travel expenses associated with an overseas conference, sabbatical, course or study tour will generally be deducible to the extent to which they achieve the following objectives:

  • They enable you to become more proficient in carrying out your current income earning activities.
  • They objectively lead to (or are likely to lead to) an increase in your income (i.e. the activity would assist in being promoted to a higher level).

If you want to claim expenses associated with travel in relation to teaching, you need to be aware of the following information the ATO will want to obtain in the event of an audit:

  • A travel diary - is often required and always recommended.
  • Employer Letter – a letter from your employer stating whether the trip was undertaken at their direction (or with consent), and the purpose of the trip. The letter should include details of any allowances, grants or reimbursement received in connection with the trip.
  • Benefit of the work trip – you’ll need to establish that the knowledge and experience gained from the trip enabled you to become more proficient in carrying out your current work duties.
  • Qualifications – include any addition qualifications you received on the trip.
  • Trip itinerary – record details such as a description of each place you visited, activities undertaken and how it relates to your work. This should include an approximation of time spent in each place, amount of expenses incurred at each place, and proportion of time devoted to activities unrelated to work.
  • Work related report –record whether you’re expected or required to prepare a written or oral report for the trip, for your employer or other colleagues.
  • Taxpayer’s records – the ATO will want to see records from which the amount claimed has been calculated i.e. written evidence or receipts for expenses, and a travel diary which sets out details of activities undertaken.

Work related travel during COVID-19 period

The ATO is expecting work related travel claims to be significantly less this year given the interstate and overseas travel restrictions. If you’re claiming travel expenses similar to previous years, make sure you’re able to provide evidence of these expenses as you could be audited.

Other general expenses

  • There are some tax deductions that all employees can claim on their personal tax returns, including:
  • the amount of any donations to registered charities (as long as you haven’t received anything in return for your donation, such as raffle tickets or novelty items)
  • the cost of bank fees charged on any investment accounts,
  • your tax agent fees (the amount you pay to your accountant to prepare your tax return each year), and
  • the cost of travelling to see your tax agent (you can claim the cost of travelling to see your accountant to have your tax return prepared. You should keep a record of the number of kilometres you travel and any other incidental costs such as parking, meals, accommodation etc.).

It's important that you keep receipts for all purchases that are work related, even if they’re not listed above. That way, when it comes to preparing your tax return it’s easier to decide whether you can claim a tax deduction for them or not.

More information

If you would like more information, the ATO produces a free publication to assist teachers to prepare their tax return, it is called ‘Teachers’ and a new version is released each year. Visit the ATO website and enter ‘Teachers’ in the search box at the top of the screen. You can also visit the JSA Accounting website for a teacher fact sheet.

Education Community Banking Benefits

Find out more

Check out our amazing education offers

How Credit Union SA supports education

Find out more

We have been supporting the South Australian education community for over 60 years.

View all About us FAQs

Visit or call us
Visit 400 King William Street, Adelaide or call us (08) 8202 7777 to discuss loans, credit cards, savings accounts or any of our other services. You can speak to a member of our friendly team quickly and easily, six days a week. If you have your Access Code we can help you quickly and efficiently, but if you don’t have one that’s fine – give us a call and we can help with your enquiries.

400 King William Street, Adelaide


General enquiries


Write to us

Customer Relations
Credit Union SA
GPO Box 699
Adelaide SA 5001

You can view your eStatements using your Mobile Banking App or Internet Banking.

Mobile Banking App

Go to ‘eStatements’ in the drop-down menu, then ‘View eStatements’ and choose from the list.

Internet Banking

Go to ‘Accounts’ on the top navigation bar, then ‘eStatements’ and choose from the list.

If you’re a member you can open a Term Deposit using your Mobile Banking App or Internet Banking.

Mobile Banking App

Select Open new account from the drop-down menu, choose the term you want and follow the instructions.

Internet Banking

Select Apply for from the Internet Banking navigation menu, click Account, then choose the term you want and follow the instructions

Not a member?

You can join online and open a Term Deposit at the same time (just make sure you have your ID handy). Simply select Term Deposit Account when completing our online membership form and follow the prompts.

Alternatively, you can call us on (08) 8202 7777 or visit us at 400 King William Street, Adelaide.

You should review the BRC 1095 Deposit Accounts Access Services to determine if this product is suitable for your personal needs and situation.