At Credit Union SA we pride ourselves on getting involved with and supporting our local South Australian community. For example:
- we support the important work of St John’s Youth Services to alleviate youth homelessness through regular fundraisers and collections for our Giving Tree for St John’s Youth Services,
- we give back to the education sector with our School Impact Program fundraising program and supporting education initiatives,
- we are the major sponsor for the Zahra Foundation Women on the Run for 2023 event which is symbolic of women and children who often have to flee domestic or family violence situations with just a bag on their back,
- we are the Event Partner for the 2023 Public Education Awards,
- we are proud to be the Support Partner for the Feast Festival,
- we proudly sponsor the SACE Art Show,
- we run free educational seminars to help you and other members understand what you need to know about purchasing your first home or planning for retirement, and
- we were proud major sponsor of the Credit Union Christmas Pageant from 1996 – 2018.
How Credit Union SA supports the community
To maximise the effectiveness of our Social Responsibility program we always choose to support South Australian organisations helping their communities through a local or an education focus.
For example, we support the Messenger ‘Know Your Neighbour Campaign’, provide assistance to mentoring programs through Community Centres SA and have been supporting St John's Youth Services as our major charity since 2010.
St John's Youth Services
St John’s Youth Services exist to break the cycle of homelessness before it can take hold of young lives. They work with young people throughout the Adelaide metropolitan area who are experiencing, or are at serious risk of experiencing, homelessness.
We see three particularly valuable benefits in St John’s Youth Services’ work:
- They are making a difference to the lives of disadvantaged young people in South Australia
- They are seeking to make that difference long-term
- The programs they run are empowering, educational and individualised.
Some of the ways Credit Union SA staff and members have supported St John's Youth Services have been by, collecting winter clothes, participating in the City to Bay, re-built their website and each year we organise the Giving Tree for St John's Youth Services to collect gifts and donations.
Credit Union SA is proud to be the major sponsor for the Zahra Foundation Women on the Run event. The sponsorship will enable to 4km run/walk to be one of Zahra Foundations major fund raising events this year where as a community we will be able to reflect and pay recognition on the anniversary of the tragic death of Zahra Abrahimzadeh.
The Zahra Foundation works to help people live a life free of violence, recognising financial abuse and disadvantage is one of the biggest barriers to women leaving and remaining free of abusive relationships.
We also strive to promote the ideals of education, learning and self-improvement in the community and seek to form partnerships with likeminded organisations.
Our past sponsorships in this area have ranged from simple projects, like helping schools build chicken coops and kitchen gardens, to extensive drug and alcohol awareness programs run at local football clubs.
Internally, we also hold a monthly gold-coin-donation casual day, with funds donated to various charitable organisations and we regularly conduct special-cause campaigns, such as collecting food and materials for local animal shelters.