Keep your devices and apps up-to-date
Stay Smart Online Week
Installing the latest software updates for your computers, smart devices and apps is one of the best ways to protect yourself from being hacked.
Spending a couple of minutes now updating your software could save you thousands in lost money and time recovering.
What are software updates?
Software updates are available for your smart device, the programs on your computer and apps you’ve downloaded. They add new features, install bug fixes and most importantly fix security holes that could let cybercriminals in.
Why is it important to install software updates?
Hackers, along with malicious programs or viruses, can find weaknesses in your software (called vulnerabilities) that they then use to access your computer or smart device. Installing updates fixes these vulnerabilities and helps to keep you secure.
Installing software updates as soon as they become available limits the amount of time hackers have to find and use these weaknesses.
Protect yourself by making software updates a top priority
Take the time to install software updates as soon as they become available. Better still, set your system to update automatically – then you don’t have to think about it.
Common software to keep updated includes:
- Operating systems (for example, Windows, Mac OS, iOS, Android)
- Antivirus and security software
- Browsers (for example Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Edge or Safari)
- Web plugins (for example, Adobe Flash, Adobe Reader, Skype, Apple QuickTime, iTunes, Java, ActiveX)
- Other types of applications (for example, Microsoft Office)
- When you purchase a new device, check for updates straight away as part of initial set up and ensure you enable automatic updates.