10 steps to protect your online accounts
Aside from the obvious imperative of ensuring our systems remain resistant to unlawful access – which we’re constantly working to ensure – secure Mobile Banking App, Internet Banking and Phone Banking is almost entirely a matter of protecting your passwords.
So with that in mind, here are our top 10 steps for doing so:
- Ensure your passwords aren’t based on personal information that could be easily discovered or guessed, such as your date of birth.
- Change your passwords at least every two months, and never use the same one for each system.
- Change your Internet Banking password immediately on a non-infected device if your computer has been infected with a virus or malicious software.
- Never record your passwords and store them in an unsecure place.
- Always type "creditunionsa.com.au" into your browser when accessing Internet Banking and you can set up a ‘Favourite” when you have done this, and NEVER click on links in emails claiming be an Internet Banking link.
- If using a public computer, ensure your private details are protected and remember to log off at the end of your session.
- When making payments online, look for a "padlock" icon in your web browser to indicate the site is secure.
- Never supply your account or card details online unless you have initiated the transaction.
- Never follow a link in an email asking for your account or card details.
- Activate the email confirmation option for Internet Banking transactions to help monitor your account.
Verified by Visa (VbV)
Verified by Visa (VbV) is an online service developed by Visa to make internet transactions safer by authenticating a cardholder's identity when you make a purchase from a participating retailer.
For more information
Or for more information about protecting your personal finances more generally, visit: