Information for schools, principals and teachers
A little bit about Credit Union SA...
Credit Union SA has supported the financial needs of South Australians for 60 years, with a key focus on serving the education community. We offer all the same services as a bank, but with one very important difference: we don't chase big profits for shareholders.
Credit Union SA is a member-based, not-for-profit organisation, so it's our members – everyone who banks with us – who collectively are our shareholders. Consequently, it's our members, their families and South Australian communities who are our top priority, enjoying fairer interest rates and fees, and all our profits are channelled back for the members' benefit.
...and our products and services
Like any bank, Credit Union SA can offer you a wide range of competitive home and personal loans, term investments, credit cards, Home and Motor Insurance, and transaction, savings and online accounts.
We pride ourselves on paying well, charging low fees (with many products completely, or near fee-free), offering extremely flexible terms, and delivering warm, attentive service. We also offer excellent digital options such as Google Pay™, Apple Pay and Samsung Pay and mobile banking apps.
“Our loan rate is lower, the terms are more flexible, and the service has been wonderful. We can now save hundreds each year.”
How School Community Rewards can work for your school...
- Individual members of your school community – parents, grandparents, friends, staff and teachers – simply open any of Credit Union SA's highly competitive banking products. This includes home and personal loans, credit cards, savings and transaction accounts, insurance and more.
- Those individuals nominate your school as their School Community Rewards beneficiary.
- Credit Union SA will then regularly donate a portion of our profits to your school, providing valuable extra funds to use however the school wishes.
The following schools are already benefitting from School Community Rewards:
- Antonio Catholic School
- Braeview Primary R-7
- Brighton Secondary School
- Catherine McAuley School
- Emmaus Catholic School
- Highbury Primary School
- Keithcot Farm Primary School
- Mercedes College
- Morphett Vale Primary School
- Pimpala Primary School
- Playford Primary School
- Our Lady of Mt Carmel Parish School
- Reynella East College
- Reynella Primary School
- St Joseph's Catholic School Hindmarsh
- St Martin's Catholic School
- Woodcroft College
- Woodcroft Primary School
- Woodend Primary School
We make it easy for you and your school to get things started
- Introduce and endorse the program to your Governing Council or board, as we’ll need their approval to run it in the school.
- Help us identify the most appropriate method to send home our small information pack to parents.
- Keep us informed of upcoming school functions and events at which School Community Rewards representatives and Credit Union SA Mobile Managers can unobtrusively promote the program. This may be at a school fete or sporting event.
- And most importantly, look for opportunities to encourage the program’s consideration by everyone in your community.
We won't push the friendship...
Credit Union SA's School Community Rewards representatives and Mobile Managers are highly aware of the need for patience, politeness, restraint and respect in your school environment. They understand that it would be an absolute privilege to have your permission to enter it and present the School Community Rewards program, and would behave accordingly whenever they did so. After all, many of us have children at school, too, and that’s how we’d want to be treated if the roles were reversed.
We've already mentioned our fondness for community-building. But did you know Credit Union SA has always had a particularly strong connection with the education sector?
We think it's important to lend a special hand to the education workers helping to prepare our next generation for the challenges and opportunities that lie ahead.
So with that in mind, we've made our Education Community Banking Benefits package really something special. For starters, it offers you and your staff:
- Fee-free1 transaction accounts with the option to load the accounts onto your compatible smart device digital wallet2, allowing you to make payments via Google Pay™, Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, Fitbit Pay and Garmin Pay™.
- No loan establishment fees on all car and personal loans
- The Education Community Credit Card – offering you a $0 annual fee; 0.00% introductory rate on cash advances, purchases and balance transfers for a period of 6 months on new accounts; and one of Australia's lowest ongoing interest rates – please ask us for the current interest rate.
- $5,000 First Home Buyers Grant if you take out a home loan with us to purchase your first home3
Just imagine the impact of taking up these fantastic savings and linking the products with an ongoing School Community Rewards donation stream!
School Community Rewards Enquiry
School Community Rewards Case Studies
The evidence shows that South Australian schools already involved in School Community Rewards are raising genuinely useful sums of money.
|Jenny Berry, Woodcroft Primary School Governing Council|
"Since we’ve started the program we’ve received $23,000, and it just keeps growing! Best thing is we can use the money for whatever we like. We’ve chosen to use it for fitness equipment that the kids love, which we couldn’t have otherwise afforded."
|Reynella Primary School|
"Reynella Primary School joined School Community Rewards in 2014. Since then, 108 members of our school community have opened products with Credit Union SA and we have received nearly $13,000 as a result.
“It’s been an enormous help, allowing us to fund projects for students that otherwise would have still been in the planning stage.
“School Community Rewards has allowed us to build a verandah to link classrooms, helped with the development of our nature play area, and significantly reduced pressure on our volunteer-based fundraising efforts!" - Steve Freeman Former Principal, Reynella Primary School, 2016
|Antonio Catholic School|
"When Monique Russell listened to a presentation with other Antonio Catholic School staff about Credit Union SA’s School Community Rewards, she thought it all seemed too good to be true.
“We were unsure at first, but soon realised the program is precisely as good as it sounds,” Monique said.
“I couldn’t say exactly how many people from the school are now involved, but last year the school received a cheque for $6,000 which we used to buy new, large-scale interactive screens for classrooms.
“It would have been quite a stretch for us to have achieved the rollout across the school, as opposed to just a few classrooms – and a lot more special fundraising lunches – if it hadn’t been for the injection of funds as a result of School Community Rewards.”
“We have everything to gain and nothing to lose by being involved. I’ve heard of more families joining, but the proof will be in the pudding at the end of the year. And, whatever funds are generated, it will be great – and fun – to work with parents and the rest of the school community to work out what we’ll do with those funds.”
1 While no transaction fees are charged by us, a fee may be charged by the ATM operator if transactions are performed using an ATM that is not part of the national network of rediATMs. Other fees and charges may apply.
2 Digital wallets can be used by members to pay for purchases via a debit or credit card loaded into a compatible smart device, wherever mobile payment systems are offered. Visit www.creditunionsa.com.au/digital-wallet for more details.
3 Lending criteria, fees and conditions apply. Offer is current as at 23/04/2018 and is subject to change. Minimum loan $250,000 to purchase or build a first home with a loan to value ratio over 80%. All loans that are eligible for the First Home Buyers Grant will be subject to pay Lenders’ Mortgage Insurance. To be eligible, applicants must not have previously owned residential property in Australia. Available to natural persons only (i.e. not a trustee or a company).
Education Community Banking Benefits are available to any employee of the South Australian education community and students carrying out studies in education.
All members of the school community must consider their own circumstances and obtain their own advice before joining School Community Rewards. The school takes no responsibility for any advice or product provided by Credit Union SA Ltd. This information is general in nature and doesn’t take into account your own personal circumstances. It is important for you to consider the terms and conditions before acquiring any of our products or services to help you decide whether they are suitable for you. Conditions and fees apply. Lending criteria apply to all credit products. Products are issued by Credit Union SA Ltd except for insurance where the Credit Union acts as an agent for Allianz Australia Insurance Ltd AFSL 234708.
Android, Google Pay, and the Google Logo are trademarks of Google LLC. Apple, the Apple logo, Apple Pay, Apple Watch, iPad, iPhone, Mac, Safari, and Touch ID are trademarks of Apple Inc ., registered in the U.S. and other countries. Samsung Pay is a trademark of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. Fitbit and the Fitbit logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fitbit, Inc. in the U.S. and other countries. Garmin Pay is a trademark of Garmin Ltd. or its subsidiaries.